Nutritional Supplements we recommend for Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) and ADHD
Click HERE (or scroll to very bottom) to read specific recommendations on nutrition and supplements for Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)
Read questions, answers, research and testimonials about Autism and the products recommended in our FAQs. FAQ.
My child needs a good basic nutrition & supplement program for Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD). What do you recommend?
Since the link between poor GI health and ASD is very strong, you should start by healing the gut. In order to do this, remove common allergens from the diet; this gives the GI tract a chance to rest and repair. Just as a construction crew cannot fix a highway as cars and traffic zoom by, the gut cannot heal itself without stopping the bombardment of aggravating foods. Gluten (found in wheat, oats, rye, barley, etc.), casein (dairy), soy, corn, citrus, yeast, sugar, sweeteners, colors, MSG, & other flavors and fillers are the most common allergenic foods for those with ASD. You may choose to have your child tested to find out if other foods should be removed. Also, your child will need nutritional supplements to aid in gut healing and brain health. Below is a list of our most popular and effective supplements, organized into categories.
(Choose 1 or all can be taken synergistically)
These are healthy organisms which live in the gut and are needed for all aspects of digestion and nutrient absorption and production. Probiotics are also needed to discourage other negative bacteria, yeast, parasites, etc.
- HLC Mindlinx, by Pharmax (Our Favorite) Available in powder or capsules (caps=8-12 billion strains HLC LAB4 Consortium, 250mg glutamine, no FOS. Powder contains 500mg glutamine & 250mg FOS)
- Why Important: Ideal for gluten & casein sensitivity. Helps breakdown these proteins and prevent them from passing through the gut and into the brain.
All HLC Probiotics are human strength and therefore maximally effective at implanting and colonizing. Glutamine helps with gut tissue healing.
HLC Intensive capsules. For those who want a Probiotic with no FOS, no glutamine (24 billion strains L. acidophilus & bifidus, HLC LAB4 Consortium)
Culturelle Lactobacillus GG (only for those not ultra sensitive to dairy). Can help balance intestinal health.
Florastore Saccharomyces boulardii by Biocodex � Good yeast which can help balance intestinal health. Can be used together with HLC Mindlinx or Intensive.
- VitaSpectrm A comprehensive multi-vitamin multi-mineral powder specifically for kids with Autism and ASD.
- CWS Vitamins & Minerals (Various liquids by Pharmax)
- Why Important: These various vitamins and minerals replenishes missing nutrients needed to facilitate healthy brain function and behavior. Since most ASD kids have poor diets and are highly deficient in many nutrients, children have ranging mild to dramatic improvements often within days or a couple of weeks of taking ASDplex, as their body becomes nourished. This multivitamin is distinctive in that it provides easily absorbed forms of many of the key nutrients.
Note: During first few months of treatment, if intestinal health is very poor (leaky gut, yeast, colitis), taking vitamins & minerals could make symptoms worse since they are not properly absorbed and leak into the bloodstream. Be sure to be using Probiotics, Enzymes, and Omega 3s either in tandem or for a couple months prior. Gradually work up to the ASDplex full serving dose after intestines have had some time to heal.
P5P Plus Magnesium (50mg P5P & 100mg Mag Gly)
- Why Important: Taking �megadoses� of P5P (a form of Vit B-6) and Magnesium have shown tremendous behavioral benefit in many children. P5P is about 5x more absorbable than Vit. B-6 pyridoxine, thus 50mg P5P may equal about 250mg B-6.
- Dosing: Take 1.6mg P5P per pound body weight (or 8mg Vit B-6 p/lb). To find the amount that works best, experiment with increasing dosages using the smallest amount to show benefit. Relax Factors can be taken in addition to ASDplex since some kids do well on these larger amounts of P5P & magnesium.
DMG Sublingual by Progressive Labs & TMG by Allergy Research
- Why Important: Some children have marked behavioral improvement while taking DMG, and others do really well on TMG instead. Some do great on both. Yet, some get hyper on one or the other. You will need to try them out to determine which one your child does best on, if either. Note: If intestines are leaky or unhealthy, it will greatly affect response to DMG & TMG. Be sure to try out any supplement again after doing intensive gut repair work using Probiotics, Enzymes, and Omega 3s.
- Glutenzymes (Our Favorite), by Pharmax
Why Important: helps break down any small amounts of gluten & casein ingested in diet so it has minimum effect on behavior and destruction of intestinal lining). Enzymes should be taken in addition to, not in place of probiotics. Dose: 1-2 with each meal or snack.
- Omega 3s � Fish Oils/Essential Fatty Acids (choose one)
Omega 3�s are the body�s natural anti-inflammatory nutrient. They work throughout the whole body such as for intestinal repair, immune function & brain health. They also make up a part of every cell. The three listed below are all paramount quality and very good tasting. Dose: 1-5 teaspoons per day (either straight off the spoon or mixed into smoothie or applesauce).
- Arctic Cod Liver Oil by Nordic Naturals (1 tsp= 675mg DHA, 445mg EPA, Vitamin A & D)
- Berry Frutol (Our Favorite) by Pharmax (2 tsp= 375mg DHA, 500mg EPA, Anthocyanins antioxidant)
- Finest Pure Fish Oil by Pharmax (1 tsp= 750mg DHA, 1050mg EPA)
Other Suggestions Blend All Your Kid�s Daily Nutrients into a Smoothie!
- My AminoPlex by Crayhon Research
Developed specifically for kids and adults with amino acid imbalances commonly seen in ASD and behavioral problems. Why Important: Promotes intestinal repair and behavioral improvements by correcting amino acid imbalances & protein deficiencies.
Mix 1 tsp vitamin powder with water (or almond/rice milk), � tsp. HLC Mindlinx, and 1+ tsp. Omega 3s (Berry Frutol, Arctic Cod Liver Oil, or Finest Pure Fish Oil). Blend & drink! (you may also open any other capsules or add in other supplements into smoothie. Experiment!)
Please schedule a 30 minute consultation
with our Licensed Nutritionist who will take your unique health situation into consideration to recommend the best protocol. (Note: we offer a $25.00 gift certificate with your consult that you can use towards your product purchase!)